Saturday, June 1, 2013

Here's the frame, stripped down to the axles.  I've got to start cleaning it up and prepping it for a new coat of paint...

As for the engine, here are a few shots:

Definitely leaking around the main shaft seals, the valve cover, and around the oil filler tube.  Possibly a few other spots too, but it's hard to tell.  I'm leaning towards tearing the whole thing down and having it cleaned professionally (and inspected for cracks).  All the seals and gaskets will be replaced when I put it back together.  Hopefully, it won't need any real machining work, as there can't be all that much mileage on it since it was last rebuilt in the 80's.

I've been playing around with the axles--I've got the giant nuts off the rears, but haven't actually pulled the hubs yet--as it is still my intention to switch out the brakes to the 11" brakes off my second set of axles, and to replace the steering knuckles as well.  That's probably going to mean replacing all the axle seals and probably a bunch of bearings as well, but their probably well past their best before date anyway.

No comments: