So I moved onto the front. I got both knuckles off the D25 (the front axle that came on the Jeep) and disassembled. No difficult parts to that at all. (Now I'll have to try the D27--the spare front axle...) After being stuck so long on that D44, it felt good to actually get something done.
One weird thing, though. The washers inside one of the front hubs were totally mangled. The splines on that shaft were also slightly mangled. I took some pictures, and I'll add them to this post at a later date (when I get around to it...) No idea what could have caused that--it even looked like it had been assembled that way from earlier damage.
Edit: Here's the pictures.
The outer washer: